Monday, June 16, 2008

Trellis Day


Here's the frame. I pounded four-foot lengths of steel pipe about halfway into the ground and then slipped the vertical supports (5'6" tall) over them and then connected the top piece. It seems pretty strong and I'll keep an eye on it as plants grow up it.


I'm tying the lattice together out of lengths of 3/16" nylon rope. I hung the vertical ones first. I was able to get the first two horizontal rows strung ahead of a short but strong rain storm and will do a few more on Wednesday.


The plants had started growing away from the trellis (toward the sunny side of the yard) and the stems are thick enough that they're just a little stubborn about being redirected now. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to tie them up.

This will be the first night that the plants are uncovered. I'm hoping they're still there in the morning.

No comments: